20090504

NOFX / SNUFF
THE FLATLINERS / POUR HABIT

O2 Shepherd's Bush Empire / London
03.05.2009
The first thing that occured my mind when I learned about the NOFX / Snuff shows in London, was something like 'woah!!! I have to be there'...
3 months later and I was there, thanks to my parents paying the plane tickets, cool eh?
Well, 2nd show in a row I went alone, but who cares dude, it was a fucking amazing show...
To be honest I am so bored to write this review... I mean I really wanna write down everything I saw, my feelings etc. but you had to be there to completely understand 'em, so not to be an elitist, but I'm really bored, yeah...
Nevertheless, let's give it a try!
I went to Shepherd's Bush Empire at around 18.15, met some dudes from Athens outside the venue, hang around with 'em and a local skater for half an hour and when the doors opened I realized that I was standing in the wrong queue... So, I went to 'my quee' where tens of kids were already waiting, haha! A fear that I was about to lose the first band shivered my spine, but, god, in about 10 minutes I got in the venue (after a nice lady put a torch inside my bag and searched it nicely). Fuck, the venue was fucking great, think something like a neo-classical theatre or opera, 3 floor high, with a huge place for stalls standing downstairs. I thanked Dimitra for having bought a downstairs ticket for me, because I couldn't stand to watch that show from the 2nd or the 3rd level, bliach...
Well, I bought some merch, kinda cheap, especially the CDs, and got ready for Pour Habit, a band from Compton / California that my friend Steos insists that it's the next big thing! To tell you the truth, the latest Fat Wreck records disappointed me a bit, and in addiction to this I don't think that Pour Habit is the next big thing... Dunno... I haven't listened to their 'Suiticide' CD yet, but what I watched live did not impress me at all. I mean, they are a good band, they play well, they remind me of early Offspring, their vocalist was 100% energetic, or may I say psycho?!, but... I'll be waiting for their first Fat Wreck album and maybe I'll reconsider my opinion! They are touring the States next week along with No Use For A Name, by the way...
The Flatliners were next, just in the scheduled time, some minutes after 20.00. Hey, that's a a new Fat Wreck band I really like... But hey again, they are from Canada, and this country hardly produce a band that sucks, so here's the reason you want! Punk rock mixed with ska mixed with rock 'n' roll, and yeah, what a nice humble & down to earth band! It won't make the difference, won't save your life, but will definitely change your mood! They played for almost half an hour, mainly songs from their Fat Wreck debut back in 2007 called 'The Great Awake' plus a couple of newer songs as well. Kids seemed to have fun and many of them were singing along to their lyrics. A definitely nice show!
At 20.50 Snuff hit the stage!!! The fucking punk rock legends, the best punk rock band out of the United Kingdom reunited and it was the first time I was attending one of their shows (I hope the 2nd one will be in Athens soon...!), since I wasn't even in the Billy No Mates show in Athens last year due to the fucking army obligations... Anyway, Snuff were just awesome, playing all their 'hits', while I was stocked watching old man Duncan playing the drums and singing as well... Fat Mike went on stage and sung along at the 'Whatever happened...' song, while the crowd was going crazy...! Even though the sound was not good at all, even though Snuff are 'old men' (haha!) right now (fuck, they exist since 1986...), they are one of the best punk European bands, no doubt. Dave with his trombone was there as well and contributed in some songs, I forgot to mention this! Ah! They are playing Leeds & Reading big fests at the end of August...
NOFX muthafuckas!!! It was the 3rd time I am attending a NOFX show, and I think this was the best one... Those bastards from California rule the scene for more than 25 years, so what the fuck are you expecting from me to add? I wrote it in the 'Coaster' review, too. It's impossible for me to review this band... They are NOFX, they do not care about anything, they are doing what they love to do, they are making fun of everyone, they are making everyone to have fun. Their set list, from the intro and Linoleum to the encore and Eric Melvin playing alone with his accordeon while the roadies were singing, was simply amazing. Old school and more underground than ever, they did not even played all their 'hits' and as Panayotis (that have attended 2nd May's show as well) told me they played almost 2 completely different sets in 2 nights. And I curse myself for not going to both shows... Anyway, they played for more than 1 hour and a half and finished their set at 23.30 (next day was Bank Holiday in London and schools/unis and some shops were closed, so the show could last a bit more than a usual one at a Sunday night). Played songs that hardly play live like 'Falling in love' from 'So long...' plus a 'Radio' from Rancid cover, along with songs like Leave It Alone, Eat The Meek, Drugs Are Good, The Separation of Church & Skate, Don't Call Me White, Mattersville, Murder The Government, Reeko, All His Suits are Torn, Perfect Government, plus a couple of new songs from 'Coaster' album that was released last week...
Ah! They also played Lori Meyers and the female vocals were sung by a girl from Nottingham (if I am not wrong) that has been to all UK NOFX shows since 1999!
Highlight no.1: When Fat Mike provoked the kids that were watching the live from levels 1, 2 and 3 and told them that we - the stalls standing - were lucky motherfuckers... Guess what? Almost every kid started spilling his beer downstairs... For almost 5 minutes it was raining beer dude... Not the best situation for a straight edge kid... ha! I watched the whole gig wearing my hoodie, 2nd ha!
Highlight no.2: At the end of the show, the vocalist of Pour Habit went on stage and started a breakdance contest with El Jefe, oh my gosh! Pour Habit's vocalist was the winner, of course!
That's all... Want more? Fuck you, I told ya, I'm bored to write a review...

P.S.1: Photos? Nope... Danai is not here, I already told ya... But she had to be here because I am malakas, I am telling her!
P.S.2: Sorry for my bad English... I did not even double-check what I wrote, what a lazy bastard...
P.S.3: The last train for downtown was at 23.30, yeah I lost the train...and found myself trying to reach Camden town, then taking another night bus and then walking for 10 minutes back to the house...
DO YOU REALLY NEED ANY LINKS?
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?