20120804



Gutter
Modern decay demo CDR
self-released

I don't know why it took me that long to review a release that I'm kinda involved in... 
Name it lack of time or laziness; you choose.
Damn! Gutter is one of the few and probably the best hardcore / punk bands that saw the light in this shit hole since ages. 8 songs (incl. covers by Reagan Youth and Void) in less than 13 minutes; no fills / no frills straight to your face metal - free hardcore / punk music to pogo / circle pit to and not for stupid violent - dancing.
Gutter draw influences from the 80s Californian scene, take some bits and pieces from the old school (not the later bullshit infiltrated) NYHC, add a huge punk / rock 'n' roll touch and filter everything via their unique sound and passionate lyrics, in order to deliver this masterpiece.
I cannot be subjective, because I know the guys that play in the band and I can assure you that they love what they are doing. I wish more bands will follow Gutter's path and return to the classic old school hardcore style that some of us worship. 
What I find not that good in this release is the poor booklet / art. It could be much better, but I guess that since this release is just a demo, the guys made it in a hurry.
I'd love to release this in a limited edition tape with kickass artwork, though, so I dare to make this offer openly to the band, hehe!
Gutter are playing in Arm Your Desires fest tonight, along with Cut Off, another great hardcore / powerviolence band from Athens. They are gonna release a split record together this fall, so you better go and check them out if you are around.

When the stones are thrown from all directions, I get the beat, I know I have a purpose
When the guitars are on a flame, helps me not to be so lame
Can't stay out from all of this, I want to feel the heat
There you! I need you right now, don't stop, don't stop to influence me
Mike is out of prison today, so everything is fine, it make my day
Look out! There is Johnny! With his skateboard ready for a ride
Can't stay out from all of this, I want to feel the heat
There you! I need you right now, don't stop, don't stop to influence me
I'm not here to dance alone, feeling the heat, start to losing control
Feeling the heat, this is our night, you already know 

www.gutterhxc.blogspot.com
www.gutterhxc.bandcamp.com