20100430


Acid Tiger
s/t CD
Deathwish Inc.
This is the newest band added in the Deathwish's roster. Acid Tiger feature Converge / United Nations drummer Ben Koller and Thursday / The A.K.A.s/U nited Nations guitarist Lukas Previn. So, without even getting started, we have to deal with an all-star band once again! I guess you are tired of reading that Deathwish is the best hardcore label in the world, so there's no sense in mentioning it hear once again... Oops! I just did it.
Nevertheless, the first, self-titled, Acid Tiger album is not your typical Deathwish one. Do not expect to listen to dark yet atmospheric hardcore or spazzy mathcore; you'll possibly find some Doomriders style heavy rock, though.
Acid Tiger is all about bluesy rock with heavy guitars, solos, some punk / hardcore parts, psychedelic rock and a soulful voice that drives the whole effort.
They combine influences from Drive Like Jehu, Hot Snakes, All, Descendents, The Cult and The Murder City Devils. That's what the press release states. I could add Pink Floyd, Kyuss and Daughters.
You can call this progressive - hardcore / punk, you can call it southern rock, you can call it whatever you want, it's still rad.
I'm really glad that I have broadened my horizons via record labels such as Deathwish.
Low point? The poor packaging. Or maybe it's my promo format...

P.S. Some of the riffs and the vocals of the last song of the record, 'Set sail', brought in my mind the legendary band from Thessaloniki, Ziggy Was. If you don't know them, check 'em out!
www.myspace.com/acidtigermusic
www.deathwishinc.com